5 Foods You Should Indulge In This Summer
1. BlueberriesThese little blue spheres of delight are delicious when added to salads, desserts, yogurt, pancakes, and cereal, or eaten alone as a healthy snack. Blueberries boast many health benefits. They contain antioxidants, which help to fight off diseases such as cancer. Vision and brain health are both protected by eating blueberries. Blueberries also contain vitamins C, E, A, and B-complex, as well as zinc, iron, and copper. You can buy fresh blueberries in season and freeze them to enjoy during the autumn and winter months. It's cheaper to freeze them yourself than to buy them already frozen and packaged.
2. CherriesCherries are packed with nutrition. They contain vitamins A, C, E, K and all B vitamins except B12, as well as potassium, copper, manganese, and magnesium. One cup of cherries contains approximately 2 grams of fiber. As an added bonus they are also low in calories.
3. ZucchiniThe zucchini is a summer squash that is mostly made up of water, so it's low in calories. However, it’s also a great source of vitamins A and C. It contains potassium and phosphorus, the latter of which is important to the bones and cell membranes. A versatile vegetable that can be added to salads, stir fries, or pasta dishes, zucchini is an inexpensive addition to any meal.
4. PeasPeas are another powerhouse summer food. One cup of peas has fewer than 100 calories, but contains lots of fiber and protein. High-fiber foods can help to regulate blood sugars. Fiber is also helpful in preventing constipation. Peas contain vitamins K, C, and E, and are a source of zinc, flavonoids, and carotenoids.
5. EggplantEggplants are a source of iron, calcium, vitamin K, and phyto-nutrients that are good for the brain and blood circulation. Phyto-nutrients are found in the skin of the eggplant, so grill or bake your eggplant without peeling the skin. It's a low-calorie vegetable with no fat, but a good amount of fiber.
Foods that are in season during the summer are colorful, nutritious, and full of flavor. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the foods that summer has to offer.
There are no comments